As a business owner, you know that access to capital is essential to keeping your business afloat and growing. But what are the best ways to get business credit? And what are the biggest mistakes that owners make when it comes to their credit scores?
In this episode, Spencer sits down with Gerri Detweiler, Gerri is an internationally recognized expert on personal and business credit and business finances and has been featured in major media outlets, courses, and podcasts. She talks about building your business credit even as a solo entrepreneur, as well as the different things to keep in mind when buying a business. Gerri also clears out the confusion on accessing capital, getting additional capital, and credit scores in the business world.
Who’s the Guest?
Gerri Detweiler is a writer, speaker, and author who’s passionate about helping small business owners and consumers make better credit and financial decisions through education and advocacy. She helped develop educational programs and materials to teach consumers and small business owners through website articles, print materials, radio, podcasts, courses, and videos.
Gerri’s specialties include personal credit, small business finance, and business credit education. She has written five books: Finance Your Own Business: Get on the Financing Fast Track (2016) with attorney Garrett Sutton; Debt Collection Answers: How to Use Debt Collection Laws to Protect Your Rights (updated 2014); Reduce Debt, Reduce Stress: Real-Life Solutions for Solving Your Credit Crisis (Good Advice Press, 2009); Invest In Yourself: Six Secrets to a Rich Life (Wiley), The Ultimate Credit Handbook (Plume 1993, rev. ed. 2003).
- Guest spotlight: Who is Gerri Detweiler?
- What are the confusions when it comes to accessing capital, getting additional capital, and the credit scores in the business world?
- Building your business credit even as a sole proprietor.
- What the DUNS number is and how important is it for your business?
- The differences between a personal guarantee and no personal guarantee and how it connects to having a business.
- What are the timelines that people should expect, especially if you’re a startup?
- The different things to keep in mind if you’re purchasing a business.
- How can you monitor your business credit to avoid identity theft and other issues?
- Expert advice: What are the simple ways to start building your business credit?
Links and Resources
- Finance Your Own Business
Call to Action
- List of credit card issuers that report to business credit: https://www.nav.com/blog/which-credit-cards-can-help-me-build-business-credit-25633/
- List of vendors that help build business credit: https://www.nav.com/resource/net-30-accounts/
- Get a free printed copy of Finance Your Own Business (with a free Nav account): https://corporatedirect.com/business-credit-reporting-tool-book/
Subscribe and Share
If you like what you hear we’d love for you to leave a review and tell us what you think. Your support is the fuel that keeps us going!